Saturday, 9 September 2017

Formal Letter: Self Introduction

Subject: Self-introduction

Dear Professor Brad, 

My name is Yio Xue Le and I am writing to formally introduce myself to you. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in electrical engineering with Eco-design and currently pursuing a bachelor in sustainable infrastructure engineering (land) in Singapore Institute of Technology. During my life in Nanyang Polytechnic, I became more interested in engineering and it is part of the reason why I chose this course.

My weakness in communication is the lack of confidence to speak and unable to express myself clearly. Whenever I am in front of an audience I tend to get nervous and blank out. Even though I practiced many times for my presentation, I am still unable to get used to speaking in front of an audience. In a group discussion, I tend to just listen to others and follow through as I do not have the confidence to speak up.

Gradually, listening to others made me a good listener which became my strength in communication. Listening is part of effective communication as it allows people to understand what someone is talking about the meaning behind the words. By listening to others I am able to understand them better and get the work done efficiently and correctly. 

My goals after going through this module are to be able to improve my confidence in speaking and improve my writings. It is not just to get a good grade for the module as it is an important skill that we all need in our daily life.

Thank You

Best regards, 

Yio Xue Le

SIE2016, Group 5

Edited: 13 September 2017
            18 September 2017

Read & Commented:
Wong Jun Peng
Keric Phua
Yeo Jie Ming

3 comments:

  1. unedited: "During my life in Nanyang Polytechnic I become more..."
    edited: During my life in Nanyang Polytechnic, I become more..."

    Personally i feel that the comma works wonders. If I were to read the sentence aloud, the comma will give me a brief pause before reading the next string of words. Otherwise it will sound very "lor sor" (long-winded) and will cause your audience to shut off from you.

    Other than that, good flow in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xue Le! I do agree with Keric about the good flow in your writing (:

    Just some opinions on your writing:
    "choose" - "chose" (should be past tense)
    "pursuing for a bachelor" I feel can be better written as "pursuing a bachelor"
    "I still unable to get" - "I am still unable to get"

    Let's learn tgt in class (: No hard feelings yea ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Xue Le,

    After reading your blog, I think it's a well-formatted post however I I feel that the sentence structure, as mentioned below can be improved.

    The second paragraph, first line: "My weakness in communication is the lack of confidence to speak and unable to express myself clearly." This could be written as:
    "My weaknesses in communication are lacking confidence in public-speaking and expressing my opinions."

    Also, instead of writing "in front of an audience" I feel "being infront of a group of people" is better.

    In all, let's have our weaknesses be strengths by the end of this course!

    Cheers,
    Cheron


    ReplyDelete

Formal Letter: Self Introduction

Subject: Self-introduction Dear Professor Brad,  My name is Yio Xue Le and I am writing to formally introduce myself to you. I gradua...